…if Roy can’t make his next start.
Yeah, we won. Yeah, Chris Sampson was 100% shocked that he was being called out, and he dominated because, well, that’s what Chris Sampson does, besides being nice enough to chat with fans. Because he’s a beast. But Roy got hurt. So that’s not cool.
We have won three series in a row. I’m very proud of my boys pulling themselves out of the depths of suckiness and beating the top two teams in the AL East (Rays, Red Sox) and the not-bottom team in the AL West (Rangers).
I also got to see Justin Ruggiano play for like, five seconds, who happens to be Brian Ruggiano’s brother, who happens to play at A&M. Unfortunately Justin got optioned like, two days after the series ended, so that was sad.
Still working on figuring out that Denver trip.
My brain’s not really fully functioning right now, so excuse the pointlessness of this post.
The Rockies need to pull it together. I love them to death but seriously, guys. Get rid of Brian Fuentes, nab some prospects, and let’s get on with our lives.
Troy Trevor hit a homer the other day 🙂 Made my day. But that craptastic play yesterday didn’t.
Only a matter of time until they get clicking on all cylinders.
Where Is He Now? update (cue Baseball Tonight update jingle): Matt Albers is on the DL with a torn labrum. Either he’ll rehab for two months or have season-ending surgery. Get well soon, brah.
…and then there’s “retro-losing.”
Yes, last night the ‘Stros had on their retro “rainbow guts” uniforms and THE GAME WASN’T TELEVISED. I have never been so cranky. I can’t believe I missed it! I wish the ‘Stros wore their retro uniforms on Sunday like some teams (Phillies, Blue Jays?) do.
And they retro-lost.
Oh, we came close. But Doug Brocail let the game go. Oh, Dougie. You had been so solid this entire year (except for that Jeter home run). Your recent ERA of 1-ish had been supporting my fantasy team. Oh, Dougie.
How could you?
Once again Wandy goes the distance (ish) and pitches a GREAT game and we can’t get him a W.
Our record in one-run games sucks (10-14), and so does our record in extras (1-1). 1-1, you say, that’s .500! NO, my friend. That means that we can’t get games close enough to make it into extras. Vomit.
But then again, I don’t know much about the rest of this game, considering that I couldn’t watch any of it except Carlos Lee’s homer.
Where Is He Now?
I decided that I absolutely had to get Matt Albers in here, so here he is. Last year was my first year “in baseball,” (OHMIGOSH yes I’ve only been a fan for a year but believe me, I’ve made up for lost time) and my dad and I literally would sit and talk about the team. We both decided that Matt was going to play a key role in the Astros’ future and rotation. Well, Matt was another part of that heartbreaking trade for Miguel Tejada. Don’t get me wrong, I love Miggy, but I was crushed to hear that three of my favorite Astros, Luke Scott, Dennis Sarfate, and Matt had been traded to Baltimore. I wouldn’t even get to see them at Spring Training! So now Matt is excelling in orange, posting an ERA of 2.77. His strikeout-to-walk ratio isn’t very good (25/21) but apparently, it doesn’t matter. He’s kicking butt and taking names as a reliable arm in the Oriole bullpen, and I couldn’t be prouder of the 23rd round pick. Good job, Matt.
And now it’s time for Pointless Ramblings. I do it so often that I decided to name it. And bold it. WOW.
1. Do I really need to reiterate my love for Darin Erstad? His two stellar defensive plays on Friday were just that–stellar. I love this guy.
2. Oh my God. Tulo came back on Friday, just as they said he would. I watched his at-bats from the last two games, and my heart swelled. I’ve never felt such happiness watching a player play. And the Rox are still wearing those black jerseys. I say throw away the others and just wear the lucky blacks. Except the grays with the purple pinstripes are my faves.
3. I’m watching last night’s Baseball Tonight. Two things: Shawn Marcum is hot, and C.C. Sabathia hit a homer! Even more evidence that the DH is silly. I love it.
4. The glove trick worked from the third floor balcony to the ground. Now I just have to actually get it to a park. We’ll see how it works out.
5. Another pitcher gets hit in the face.
6. UBALDO! And the Rox went back-to-back… and Tulo got a hit.
That’s it, really.