…and then there’s “retro-losing.”
Yes, last night the ‘Stros had on their retro “rainbow guts” uniforms and THE GAME WASN’T TELEVISED. I have never been so cranky. I can’t believe I missed it! I wish the ‘Stros wore their retro uniforms on Sunday like some teams (Phillies, Blue Jays?) do.
And they retro-lost.
Oh, we came close. But Doug Brocail let the game go. Oh, Dougie. You had been so solid this entire year (except for that Jeter home run). Your recent ERA of 1-ish had been supporting my fantasy team. Oh, Dougie.
How could you?
Once again Wandy goes the distance (ish) and pitches a GREAT game and we can’t get him a W.
Our record in one-run games sucks (10-14), and so does our record in extras (1-1). 1-1, you say, that’s .500! NO, my friend. That means that we can’t get games close enough to make it into extras. Vomit.
But then again, I don’t know much about the rest of this game, considering that I couldn’t watch any of it except Carlos Lee’s homer.
Where Is He Now?
I decided that I absolutely had to get Matt Albers in here, so here he is. Last year was my first year “in baseball,” (OHMIGOSH yes I’ve only been a fan for a year but believe me, I’ve made up for lost time) and my dad and I literally would sit and talk about the team. We both decided that Matt was going to play a key role in the Astros’ future and rotation. Well, Matt was another part of that heartbreaking trade for Miguel Tejada. Don’t get me wrong, I love Miggy, but I was crushed to hear that three of my favorite Astros, Luke Scott, Dennis Sarfate, and Matt had been traded to Baltimore. I wouldn’t even get to see them at Spring Training! So now Matt is excelling in orange, posting an ERA of 2.77. His strikeout-to-walk ratio isn’t very good (25/21) but apparently, it doesn’t matter. He’s kicking butt and taking names as a reliable arm in the Oriole bullpen, and I couldn’t be prouder of the 23rd round pick. Good job, Matt.
And now it’s time for Pointless Ramblings. I do it so often that I decided to name it. And bold it. WOW.
1. Do I really need to reiterate my love for Darin Erstad? His two stellar defensive plays on Friday were just that–stellar. I love this guy.
2. Oh my God. Tulo came back on Friday, just as they said he would. I watched his at-bats from the last two games, and my heart swelled. I’ve never felt such happiness watching a player play. And the Rox are still wearing those black jerseys. I say throw away the others and just wear the lucky blacks. Except the grays with the purple pinstripes are my faves.
3. I’m watching last night’s Baseball Tonight. Two things: Shawn Marcum is hot, and C.C. Sabathia hit a homer! Even more evidence that the DH is silly. I love it.
4. The glove trick worked from the third floor balcony to the ground. Now I just have to actually get it to a park. We’ll see how it works out.
5. Another pitcher gets hit in the face.
6. UBALDO! And the Rox went back-to-back… and Tulo got a hit.
That’s it, really.